Saturday, June 14, 2014

Another test build for 2mm scale sci-fi paper miniatures

Today I spent some time trying to make a new set of paper miniatures at around 2-3mm scale. They will be used to play large sci-fi battles with games like Battalion Commander, Strike Legion and Future War Commander. This time, I went with 15mm square bases for infantry and 15x20mm bases for the tanks, glued to a 2mm thick sheet of "foamies." Each square in the grid shown in the picture is 5mm.


I created some simplified models for the tanks, so that they would be easier to build at such a small size. These test models were printed on a sheet of yellow paper; for the final models I would print the bases on green paper and the models on red or blue paper. At this reduced scale, this saves ink that would be lost at tiny details anyway.

Here are a couple of shots with three different types of tokens and figures that I have tried to produce to play these large battles. In the front, some top-down bases pasted on corrugated cardboard. Then there is the family of abstract tokens I devised with different profiles for each unit type (infantry, vehicles, mechs, flying units, command units and so on) and the new models in the back.



To be honest, although the mini tanks and individual soldiers look cool (to me at least) the top-down tokens are the most readable at a distance -- and at the same time they are the easiest to produce. On the other hand, I have to admit that my abstract tokens are the worse option among them...

3 comments:

Kaptain Kobold said...

The new standup ones certainly look the best, and don't look that much harder to produce than the top-down counters.

Ricardo Nakamura said...

Hi Kaptain Kobold, thanks for your comment. I agree, they really are not so much harder to make.

The Bane said...

I like the new ones. I am wanting to do some 6mm gaming, so would love to see a tut on how you did them.