Saturday, May 16, 2015

Paper starships

Although I have recently ordered two Full Thrust starter kits from Ground Zero Games, I wanted to try my hand at making some paper, or otherwise scratch-built starships. Here are the results. The bases are made of black foamcore, the flight posts are toothpicks painted black. The ships on the left are made of folded paper, printed and colored with pencils. The two on the right are made with thick cardstock and toothpicks, and painted with acrylic paints.

Here are close ups of each set of ships. First the paper ones. I made the greenish one a while ago and posted it at the Cardboard Warriors forum. I made the other ones to try this other style but the result is quite fiddly to fold properly and to glue to the base.

And here are the scratch-built ones. These were cut without any previous planning. Based on the results, I intend to make a few templates so that I can have two squadrons to play. Even after I get the metal ones, I will probably still use them together.

Lastly, here is a shot of some movement and turn templates I made for Full Thrust, inspired by the maneuver tools from the X-Wing miniatures game. This are just a half disk with 30 degree increments and a straight rectangle with 1 and 1/2 inch increments.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

A bunch of other paper minis in 6mm scale

Today I went back to the project of using reduced Armor Grid miniatures, printed at 40% of their original size, as 6mm forces in games such as Strike Legion and 5150 Battalion Commander (previously I built some at 50% scale but 40% makes infantry size correct.)

I used the uncolored versions as I now have access only to a monochrome laser printer. I am still unsure if I will print them in colored paper or try to color them by hand.

Instead of assembling the infantry stands in a cross formation (which is mounted on an hexagonal base in Armor Grid), I simply folded each troop piece and glued them to a 1.5" x 0.5" base. For a command stand, I would use the original formation.

The light mechs were surprisingly easy to build, as I would only cut an approximate contour, while at the original scale I would spend a long time making every little cut precisely.

So this is it, any comments are welcome. I have some plans to run a short sci-fi campaign with some of these miniatures...